Sunday 25 April 2010

DIY rat cage - 1

Finally, we've started on the new "grotto" style cage for my ratties. I've spent ages trying to plan, deciding whether to buy a display cabinet or start completely from scratch and just buy bits of wood. Well, I got pretty lucky. I was browsing the Friday Ads website and came across a display cabinet that was only two minutes away from me, for £15!

The unit was pretty much perfect! And for only £15! I was expecting to have to buy a new unit or wood and spend around £50. Mum is happy too, because at the moment the rats cage is on top of the bar (it was already here when we moved into the house) which mum hates. So with the rats moving home, we can get rid of the bar, which also means if there's anything handy making it up, I can use it for the new cage.

So, now I have my basic unit. It comes in two parts, the bottom part I will use for storing all my ratty things, and the top part will be their new home. I need to remove the glass from the doors and replace with some suitable material. There are two shelves already fixed into the top unit. There are also display lights at the back of the shelves which will obviously need to come out, but this means the shelves don't go all the way to the back of the unit, so I don't need to cut into the shelves, bonus!

I don't think the unit is a particularly nice colour, but beggars can't be choosers! Also, the back of the unit isn't very strong, so I will need something to support it. Whilst deciding how to destroy the bar, a thought hit us, the stony effect on the front of the bar could look quite nice to back the unit and lighten it up a bit. Waste not want not!

So, next step...destroy the bar!

No comments: