Tuesday 27 April 2010

So Proud!

Last night when I cleaned the boys cage (they're still in the old cage as the new DIY unit isn't quite finished) I decided to try out the litter tray. They have always had Biocatolet filling the whole bottom section, and although they tended to stick to one corner, they did sometimes stray.


I bought them a litter tray for when they move into the new hideout. The picture above isn't the exact one I got them. This time instead of filling the whole plastic area, I used some of the leftover polar fleece (used to line the shelves in the new house) to line the plastic base of the cage, and just put fresh Biocatolet in the litter tray, with a small handful of the soiled litter.

I have also now moved the cage into my bedroom as that is where the new unit is most likely to go, so I thought they could get used to living in my bedroom in the current cage before moving into the new hideout. However, the corner the used to use as "poo corner" is the corner nearest my bed! So I put the litter tray in the furthest corner and hoped they would smell the litter and not just go in the corner they normally do.

Well, I woke up this morning (minimal disturbances from them in the night) and there were no messes to clean up from the fleece. I was worried that they may have just held it in rather than go somewhere new, but then Elvis got up to see me for some cuddles, and when he was back in the cage he went straight over and used the tray!!

I am so proud of them, I expected that it would take some training and keen eyes on my part before they learned, especially with it being in a different corner, but my babies are so clever!

Let's hope it lasts and they don't get bored of being good ;-)

x

No comments: